NATIONAL BORDER PATROL COUNCIL
American Federation of Government Employees
Affiliated with AFL-CIO
“Protecting Those Who Protect Our Borders”
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the lack of a newsletter these past months. There is no excuse and I will increase the frequency of the newsletter. Please follow our Local through Twitter or Facebook. The best thing you can do for the Union is be involved or at the very least stay up to date with current Union concerns.
(Union Service Announcement)
This section of the newsletter will be reserved for announcing any pertinent Union concerns. The Executive board of Local 2554 would like to thank Mr. Michael Martin for the suggestion. Although the discussion we had with Mr. Martin did not result in the outcome we were looking for, the discussion itself went well and we extend our thanks for his time.
For our first official U.S.A. = Unscheduled shift change
Once the G259 is posted if there are any Service initiated changes to your schedule, during that pay period, you may claim any premium pay you would have earned if you had worked the hours as originally scheduled. The determining factor is the posting of the G259 not the number of hours of notice you are given. If you have any questions or need clarification do not hesitate to contact Fernando Gurrola at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OT checkpoint Grievance update: We have been assigned new attorneys to negotiate the settlements terms of the OT checkpoint grievance. The Union won the grievance however we do not agree with or accept the financial settlement the Service has offered. No money has been disbursed in any form from this grievance. Hopefully with the input and assistance of the new attorneys we will see the conclusion of this grievance soon.
- SWAP FAQ: Hopefully this information will help Union Members make more informed decisions regarding the SWAP which is currently in progress and the upcoming SWAP which is scheduled for January 2016.
- El Centro Sector had at least one Agent who was not included in the SWAP because their name was entered incorrectly.
- Nationwide we had several Agents who were disqualified due to incorrect information entered into the EOD section.
- When you enter your station preferences in the SWAP please be aware there is no ranking system applied to your choices such as first choice, last choice etc… You will be matched with the most appropriate station based on the totality of your application.
- When you are matched you will be contacted by the National Coordinator and will receive an offer. You may at this opportunity decline the SWAP without penalty. However, if you accept and then subsequently decline or choose not to complete the SWAP there will be a substantial penalty attached.
- If you are matched but your SWAP declines your name will go back into the SWAP program and you will be given an additional opportunity to be matched up.
- There is no penalty associated with losing your SWAP due to the other Agent declining or refusing to SWAP. Beyond the loss of your current SWAP.
- Verizon phone update: Officially the Verizon program is still under negotiation however Verizon has removed the unlimited data, the 10th month upgrades and raised the basic price $10-20. At this time the National is talking with AFGE and will hopefully be able to negotiate another program for our membership.
- Grooming Standards: Recently El Centro Station made a change to the implementation of the grooming standards, the Union disagreed with the manner and authority of the Station to make this change and with the help and support of El Centro Sector management we were able to resolve this issue without the need to expend financial or legal resources. We want to take the opportunity to thank Management and we hope that future concerns can be handled in the same prompt and efficient manner.
- Agent Welfare: Calexico Station Stewards will begin selling Union merchandise soon. The proceeds of all sales will go towards the welfare of Local 2554 members. Be on the lookout items should be here in time for Christmas, show your support for Local 2554 and your fellow Union members.
- Union Participation:
One of the strengths of any Union is the participation and involvement of its members. Everyone is encouraged to not only attend the Union meetings but to get involved. You can do as much as you are comfortable with. The only way for the Union to grow or to change is by the direct participation of its members. Don’t just complain, come down and help, your voice won’t count unless it’s heard.
IF YOU ARE HAVING A CONCERN WITH MANAGEMENT PLEASE CONTACT A UNION REPRESENTATIVE.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions for the Monthly Newsletter please contact David Yglesias at the following email: email@example.com